MRI

I was always curious about MRI scans. I know a few people (physicists) who do research with MRI, and asked about potential studies that might need volunteers once, because I was curious, although I never found a study to be part of.

I had an MRI yesterday. I had to lie face down with a line in my arm while they backed me into the tunnel. It felt like being in an immersive techno experience, frozen inside a robot at a Berlin rave. I tried to zone out and pretend it was music. But they kept coming on the intercom for commentary: 'short break now', '3 min the next one'. It was 30 min total and it was OK. I walked out with red patches on my face from lying in the same position and a piece of cotton wool taped to my arm.

By the end of the day I had cotton+tape on my right arm (MRI line), left arm (blood tests), and a patch on my breast (biopsies+coil insertion). I'd also had X-rays and UV scans in addition to the MRI. I have never felt so reduced to my body. And I have never felt so let down by my body.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vuggestue

Cold water rebirth

Crushing loneliness